Legislation and Bulletins
Elections Alberta is governed by provincial legislation. When an election, by-election, plebiscite, or enumeration is held, we must follow the rules outlined in legislation. These include the Election Act, Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act and the Alberta Senate Election Act.
We also have other specific duties assigned by the Local Authorities Election Act and the Electoral Boundaries Commission Act.
The Chief Electoral Officer has provided interpretation bulletins under the Election Act and Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act in the following topic areas:
- No. 1 Advertising by Government Departments and Provincial Corporations during Election and By-Election Periods
- No. 2 Campaigning Outside of a Campaign Period
- No. 3 Party Mergers
- No. 4 Recording Expenses that Span Campaign and Election Periods
The Chief Electoral Officer is required to post guidelines under the Election Act. They can be found below:
- Alberta Voters List Access Guidelines
- CEO Guidelines for Election Surveys
- Advertising Guidelines on Contact Information