How to Vote By Mail
Electors that are unable to vote in-person, may vote by mail by applying for a Special Ballot.
If you are voting by mail, the process follows these steps:
1. Submit your request to receive a Special Ballot online, by phone or by email.
You may choose to:
- Mail the ballot to your home address,
- Mail the ballot to an alternate address (E.g. for those working away, at school, on vacation, etc.),
- Pick the ballot up at your Returning Office or at the Elections Alberta office, or
- Arrange for a designate to pick it up from the Returning Office or at Elections Alberta.
2. Receive your Special Ballot package in the mail or pick up the package at the location chosen.
- Packages mailed internationally and to remote locations in Canada will take more time for delivery.
Electors in these areas should request their package as soon as the writ has been issued to allow time for delivery.
3. Review the package and the instructions.
Make sure that you have received:
- A Special Ballot
- A Ballot Envelope (Envelope A)
- A Return Envelope (Envelope B)
- A Special Ballot Declaration
- Instructions for how to complete your Special Ballot
4. Write in the name of the candidate or the registered political party that you wish to vote for – on the ballot, legibly, in pencil or pen.
Special Ballots are a write-in ballot. They do not contain the names of the candidates running in your electoral division. Elections Alberta will post the list of candidates as their nomination papers are accepted. It is recommended that electors wait until nominations close, so they are aware of all candidates that are running before completing their ballot.
5. Assemble your return package.
- Place only the ballot in the ballot envelope and seal it.
- Make a copy of your identification proving your name and current physical address.
- Review and sign the Special Ballot Declaration that was sent with your package.
If there are errors on the Declaration form, please contact us at 1-877-422-8683 (VOTE).
- Place the ballot envelope, a copy of your identification, and the signed declaration in the Outer Envelope.
6. Mail or return the envelope to the returning office – so that it is received before the close of polls.
When your Special Ballot package is received at the returning office, an election officer will open it to confirm that you have signed the declaration and sent in a copy of your identification. Once these documents are confirmed, your ballot envelope will be placed in the ballot box, and you will have successfully voted by mail.