ID Required To Vote

If you are registered to vote at your current address, you do not need to show ID. If you need to update your registration, you will need to prove your identity and current address with ID.

To do this, you may provide one piece of Government-issued, photo ID, including your full name, physical address, and photo. Otherwise, you need to show two pieces of ID, both containing your full name, and with one showing your current physical address. See what we accept below:

One Piece of Identification

Your Alberta Driver’s Licence or Identification Card can be shown as one piece of ID, if it has your full legal name and current physical address.

If your Driver’s Licence or Identification Card does not have your current address, or only contains a mailing address (e.g. PO Box), you may use it as one piece of ID, in combination with another piece of ID showing your current physical address.

Two Pieces of Identification

When showing two pieces of ID, ensure that both contain your full name and that one piece shows your current physical address.

    • AISH Card
    • Alberta Forestry Identification Card
    • Alberta Health Care Card
    • Alberta Natural Resources Card
    • Alberta Service Dog Identification Card
    • Alberta Wildlife ID Number (WIN) Card
    • Band Membership or Indian Status Card
    • Birth Certificate
    • Canadian Citizenship Card or Certificate
    • Canadian Forces Identification Card
    • Canadian Passport
    • Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card
    • CANPASS, FAST, or Nexus Card
    • CATSA Identification Card
    • Firearm Possession and Acquisition (PAL)
    • Fishing, Trapping, or Hunting Licence
    • Government Issued Cheque or Cheque Stub
    • Income Tax Assessment
    • Library Card
    • Public Curator, Guardian, or Trustee Letter
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Métis Nation of Alberta Membership Card
    • Metis Settlements Membership Card
    • Old Age Security (OAS) Card
    • Outdoors or Wildlife Card / Licence
    • Public Transportation Card
    • Social Insurance Number
    • Statement of Government Benefits
    • Tax Assessment or Evaluation Notice
    • Vehicle Ownership or Registration
    • Veterans Affairs Health Care ID Card
    • Employee Identification Card
    • Residential Lease or Sublease Document
    • Membership Card (service club, fitness or health club, political party, retail)
    • Utility Bill (electric, gas, water, cable, telephone)

    • Account Statement
    • Bank or Credit Card
    • Insurance Policy Certificate or Statement
    • Mortgage Statement
    • Pension Plan Benefit Statement
    • Personal Cheque

    • Alberta Health Services – Patient Wristband
    • Canadian Blood Services Card
    • CNIB Identification Card
    • Hospital or Medical Identification Card
    • Prescription Bottle Insert or Container

    • Correspondence from an Educational Institution
    • Student ID Card

    • Baptismal Certificate
    • Confirmation Certificate


If you are unable to provide any identification, or cannot confirm your current physical address, you can be vouched for by another registered elector in your polling subdivision.


We can also establish your identity through an attestation.

In the specific instances shown below, the attestation form is used in lieu of having a vouching elector physically present. However, the authorized signatory holds a position of authority that ensures the named elector can be confirmed as eligible.

Specific Group Authorized Signatory
Elector Living in Supportive Living or Long-Term Care Facility Operator or Manager, Recreation Director or Manager, Registered Nurse
Elector on Colony Colony Manager, Colony Minister
Elector on Reserve or Settlement Chief, Band Manager, or Membership Coordinator; Settlement Chair or Administrator
Homeless Elector Shelter or Housing Administrator (who has strong familiarity with regular clientele)
Student Elector Registrar Officer, Student Association Executives, Student Residence Coordinators
Tenant Elector Titled Land Owner, Lessor, On-Site Caretaker, Third-Party Management Administrator

Authorized persons are known to Elections Alberta in advance. For more information on the use of attestations, or to request to become a signatory, please contact us

To see a complete list of acceptable identification types, click here.