How to Register a Leadership Contest
Leadership Contest Responsibility
A party who needs to select a new leader must inform Elections Alberta in advance of holding a leadership contest. To inform us, the party must complete and file a Leadership Contest Statement outlining the start date of the contest and the date or dates for voting.
Once the contest has been held, the party must inform Elections Alberta of the contest results. To do so, the party must complete and file a Notice of Leadership Contest Results.
Leadership Contestant Responsibility
You must register as a Leadership Contestant as soon as:
- you announce (make your intention publicly known) that you are seeking the leadership of a party, or
- you spend funds for your leadership campaign, or
- you accept a contribution for your leadership campaign
The above applies regardless of whether your party has announced a leadership contest.
To register, complete the Registration of a Leadership Contestant application form and submit it to Elections Alberta.
- If your application is approved we will send you a registration approval letter, a signed copy of the application, and enter you and your appointed chief financial officer (CFO) into our registration records. We will provide you and your CFO with access to our Online Financial System (OFS), for meeting your financial reporting obligations.
- If there are any issues with your application (e.g. incomplete) we will contact you. Once any issues are rectified, we will process your application for approval.
IMPORTANT: You cannot appoint a CFO on your registration application if the person is on Elections Alberta’s current ineligible persons list.
If you are registered and for any reason decide to withdraw your registration, you are strongly encouraged to inform Elections Alberta as soon as possible by filing a Withdrawal of a Leadership Contestant. Your campaign will end on the date of withdrawal and we will follow up with you to ensure that you meet your financial reporting obligations to disclose your financial activity up to the point of withdrawal.
Every leadership contestant that has been registered with Elections Alberta must file a Leadership Contestant Campaign financial statement within four months after the leadership contest. Even if a contestant withdraws or has their registration cancelled, they still must submit a financial statement to Elections Alberta.