Compliance & Enforcement
It is the job of the Election Commissioner to ensure Alberta’s election laws (the Election Act, the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act and the Local Authorities Election Act) are complied with and enforced. To do this job, the Election Commissioner has the authority to:
- conduct investigations
- enter into compliance agreements
- issue letters of reprimand
- levy administrative penalties
- apply to the Court for an injunction (during an election period)
- recommend prosecutions
- receive complaints regarding government advertising during election periods and by-election periods
The Election Commissioner has jurisdiction over Alberta provincial and local authority election laws only.
This does not include complaint investigation or enforcement matters relating to federal elections.
With regard to local authority elections, the Election Commissioner’s responsibilities are limited to investigating complaints and enforcing campaign finance, financial disclosure and third party advertising laws only.
The Election Commissioner
Glen L. Resler, CPA, CMA (November 2019 – current)
Former Election Commissioners
Lorne R. Gibson (July 2018 – November 2019)